Friday, May 25, 2012

First grade=DONE!







The last week of school is especially fun for first graders.  They participate in Camp Learn-Alot, in which each first grade class does fun activities each day, has guest speakers (like a dentist and fireman), makes tie-dye shirts, and has a Field Day.  I was able to attend Field Day with Austin this year and join in on the fun! They participated in potato sack races, two-legged races, tag, and tug-of-war.  Austin had a ball, as so did all the kids.  It was fun to see them all just enjoy the activities.


Austin worked so hard this year and got a really good report card.  All A's and lots of scores and grades above grade level (like reading, comprehension, spelling, and math).  He improved so much in all of those areas and really worked hard on his homework, spelling tests (completed all the challenge tests at 97%), and Read to Succeed program.  He is reading at a high third grade level already, which impresses me the most.  What a good student he is, I just hope he keeps it up!


When that bell rang on the last day of school and Austin walked out of the school, I suddenly was overcome with emotion.  On one hand, I felt joy from knowing how much Austin accomplished this year.  But on the other hand, I was sad because he is growing up way too fast.  Didn't he just start kindergarten yesterday?  I can't believe he is going into second grade.  I am way too young to have a second grader! ;)


Austin, we are so proud of you.  You never ONCE complained about going to school all year, you always gave it your best, and you grew and matured so much.  Your teacher also had great things to say about you, and we will always remember Ms. Carruthers.  She was the best first grade teacher ever!


No comments: