Friday, January 15, 2010

Big news

Most of you probably already know this news, but if not, then this will come as a big shock. Recently, I was diagnosed with Stage 3 melanoma (skin cancer). Before you all freak out on me, please read below. I will try my best to give you the most important and current information, and my only wish in sharing this with you is that you keep us in your prayers these next few weeks and months.

Two years ago, while 7 months pregnant with Carson, I noticed a mole on my upper thigh that had changed in color and texture. Because I knew the warning signs of cancer, I immediately got it checked out by a Dermatologist. He was, of course, concerned upon looking at it, and so it was removed right away. When the lab results came back showing it was positive for malignant melanoma, my doctor then wanted to remove the surrounding tissue (margins) to make sure that it was free of cancer. When that tissue came back as negative, no further tests were done at the time, although I have continued to have check-ups with him every 6 months.

While we were in UT over Christmas weekend this year, I noticed a small, firm lump in my groin area (close to where that melanoma had been). It felt like it literally just popped up in one day and I know for a fact that I would've detected it earlier. Of course, it was alarming to me and so I called my Dermatologist the very next day. Because we were due to fly to CA the day after we returned from UT, it was imperative to me to go see him before I left on our trip. Luckily his PA was able to fit me in, and it was suggested that I get it removed ASAP by a general surgeon. (Of course, without doing a biopsy, they couldn't determine what it was, but treated it seriously.) I didn't want to postpone my trip, and I felt that IF there was bad news, I would want my family around. While in CA, I had the lump removed and upon removal, the surgeon immediately thought it was a cancerous lymph node. She then did a frozen cell dissection, in which confirmed that it was indeed, cancer. At this point, we weren't sure what kind of cancer it was until the pathology results came back, but assumed it was probably melanoma based on my prior history. I was then ordered to get a PET scan (which I did back in Boise) and see an Oncologist for the full results, diagnosis, and treatment plan. This was all done last week.

You can imagine the emotions we have gone through-initially, complete shock and FEAR (especially because I am so young, healthy, and physically fit), but then after many prayers, fasting, temple attendance, and priesthood blessings we felt immediate peace with everything. Although I was still scared out of my mind (especially during the waiting period), I knew that somehow things would be ok and that I would be cured/healed because of our faith, trust in God's plan for us, and the knowledge that our Savior loves us infinitely.

We met with the Oncologist Friday which determined a couple things. First, the PET scan didn't detect any cancer cells in other parts of my body or organs other than the lymph nodes involved in that area. That is a miracle, truly. Especially because it's likely that the melanoma has been metastasizing for the past 2 years. The second thing was that it was in fact melanoma and not a different kind of cancer. Although melanoma is a very serious cancer and is difficult to treat if it has spread to other organs, I was fortunate to have caught it as early as we did. The doctor felt very optimistic that through surgery and radiation we would cure it. So, the plan is for a surgeon to remove all the lymph nodes in that area of my leg (called a lymph node dissection) and then treat with 6 weeks of radiation, 5 days a week, to kill any other possible trace of cancer and for preventative measures (to keep it from recurring). We have discussed other forms of therapy, such as chemo or biological treatments, however, we will cross that bridge when we get there. Yes, it is still somewhat frightening to me and it's going to be a long process, but I know that I'm blessed with much support and that I will get through it and come out on top!

We are blessed to have supportive, amazing, and wonderful families and friends and know that through the prayers of ALL, we will be watched over and cared for for our loving Heavenly Father. We also know that this experience will only make us stronger and more grateful for our precious lives. Please know that for now, we are doing great, remain hopeful and peaceful, and are trusting my life in the Lord's hands. We have witnessed many miracles in our lives, and know without a doubt that this will be no exception, as it already has been. Thank you for being wonderful friends to us, we love you, and pray that you too will have peace, love, and happiness in your own lives.

1 comment:

Bills said...

Our thought and prays are with you and your family.