Monday, January 11, 2010

CA visit

My updates are long-overview and soon I will share pictures from Christmas morning at home, and our weekend trip to UT. After our quick trip to UT, we went to CA for 2 weeks (well, Eric didn't stay that long.) When we got to CA, we had a mini Christmas all over again. The kids were of course, excited to open presents all over again. Austin got Bakugans from Trish, a learning computer program from Matt and Jen, and Transformers from Grandpa and Grandma. Carson got trucks, a remote control car, and bowling pins/ball.





One day we went down to Santa Cruz to visit the famous Mystery Spot, which most of us had been too before. It's this kooky place in the mountains that supposedly has some weird magnetic pull to it, making the center of gravity abnormal. After bringing my dad there for the first time (who was a Physics major), he was completely skeptical of it all and ended up de-bunking all the myths and concluding that it was all an optical illusion!






New Years Eve day we went bowling, which was fun because they even gave us popcorn, drinks, New Years hats, and noise makers to celebrate.






On New Years Eve night Trish, Dave (Trish's boyfriend), Eric, and I decided to spend a night out in the city eating a late dinner and then watching the fireworks at the Pier. We were originally planning on eating at an Ethiopian restaurant in the Haight and Ashbury district, but ended up going to this cute, quaint, delicious French bistro instead. There was even live jazz music that was played right next to our table. We also had our first taste of escargo (well, except Dave), which I have to say, wasn't as bad as I expected! The fireworks were fun too, although we didn't stay for the whole show, only because we wanted to beat the rest of the crowd to the BART station. The best part of the evening? People watching, of course. From the BART and bus rides, to the restaurant, and of course, down on the Pier, there were hoards of crazy, drunk people. I think we were honestly the only sober people in all of S.F. I love that city, but man, are there a lot of eccentric, nut-jobs! It was quite entertaining to say the least and we had a good time making fun of everyone!







We took the kids to this fun place called Super Franks, which was really fun for them to run around, slide down the bouncy slide, play in the arcade, and play glow-in-the-dark minature golf. It certainly wore them out for a few hours!






For Christmas, I got tickets from my mom and dad to see "Wicked" in S.F. I have wanted to see this for a long time and it was worth the wait! We decided to make it a night with dinner at the Cheesecake Factory in Union Square too. The show was incredible and entertaining, our seats were fantastic, and of course, the best part was just having a night sans kids!





We also went to the movies a couple of times, had our fair share of frozen yogurt (I think Trish and I have a serious addiction!), took the kids to the park, and Trish and Dave even took Austin to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. After 2 exhausting weeks in CA, we were ready to come home. But the boys always love being at Grandma and Grandpa's house, and it's always a blast.