
My little sis, Trish, left for Kenya a couple of weeks ago to volunteer as a Nurse in a clinic in a village 40 miles or so outside of Nariobi. I think it is so admirable, amazing, and such a once-in-a-lifetime experience for her! She has a roomate from Australia, that is also a nurse, and the two of them live with a couple in the village that they are working at. For Kenya (or for any 3rd world country, for that matter), their living quarters don't look half bad, but the culture change, the environment, and just life in general, has been quite the eye-opening experience for her. They regularly visit childrens' orphanages, where they go to play with the kids and help out. They even brought a bunch of fruit from a market once, and the kids were so excited to get bananas (not a staple food there), they acted like it was Christmas morning. I think if I went there though, it would be extremely hard to not bring home 12 orphan children!
I'm sure it is truly humbling to be there and see FIRST-HAND how life is for these Africans. For now, I can only live vicariously through her experiences and be GRATEFUL for what we do have here in this country. We are so blessed in so many ways! When she is able to get to an internet cafe every once in awhile (while she's not working in the clinic or volunteering at an orphanage), she updates her blog with experiences and pictures. It is so great to hear about these experiences she's having while her family is 1/2 across the globe!
2 comments:
Trish has it ALL together.
I would love to see Nairobi again, and see the changes from 25 years ago.
Ask Eric what he remembers?
Good for you Trish!!
Elder Mac
Grandpa Mac
Elder McEvoy
Wow, that is amazing!
Post a Comment