Friday, July 3, 2009

Doctor visit

Austin had his 4th yr check-up with his doctor this past week. I was thinking this might be a disaster because they suggest getting shots at this age (although we decided to wait another year, right before kindergarten), PLUS he only goes to the doctor once a year anyways (around his birthday). The kid never gets sick, so he's not used to going (hence the breakdown last year). Even though I fully prepped him and got him excited about it, he wasn't totally stoked about the idea. Until I suggested to him to bring his favorite "Body" book to show the doctor. We went through the book and I told him all the things the doctor was going to check on him. That seemed to do the trick. The kid was a GEM for the doctor. Cooperative, pleasant, still, willing, even HAPPY to be there! He even had a few eye-opening conversations with the doctor. For example:

(As he is showing the doc his book):

Doc: "Wow, Austin, that's a pretty cool book. Do you like learning about the human body?"

Austin: "Yep. I know all about the lungs, heart, muscles, and where food goes when we eat it." (as he shows him the page about pooping our excess waste out)

Doc: "Do you want to be a doctor when you grow up?"

Austin: "NOOOO! NO, I DO NOT WANT TO BE A DOCTOR (yelling, defensively)! I want to be a Physical Therapist like my Dad."

Here's my favorite line from the doctor visit though...

Doc: "Can I check your ears with this flashlight?"

Austin: "Are you going to check my cochlea?" (For those that don't know what the cochlea is, it's a small bone inside your eardrum.)

You can imagine the doctor's expression (and mine too) on that one. Both amazed and amused!!! Gotta love our little Austin, he keeps us on our toes!!!

1 comment:

Elder and Sister McEvoy said...

Audie,

Don't step on your Mom's metatarsels. That would hurt her.

Grandpa Mac
Elder Mac
Elder McEvoy

ps: I broke one once...