Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day


Mother's Day was wonderful this year. Last year the kids and I weren't with Eric on Mother's Day, so it was so great to be as a family this year. They made me breakfast in bed, gave me homeade cards (which were hilarious!) and a beautiful necklace with pendants of the kids initials on it. I am so proud to have these 2 munchkins call me MOM. They make every little sacrifice, every tired and impatient moment that I-want-to-pull-my-hair-out-and-scream, worth it. I can't imagine my life without them and having cancer makes me fight even harder to be here for them. Being a mother gives my life such a greater purpose, and I know that my role as their mother is the most important role I will have in my lifetime. I LOVE BEING A MOM!

I also have to mention the other moms in my life. Especially my own mother. She is probably the most selfless and compassionate person that I know. She has dedicated her life to serving others including and most importantly, her family. I look back on my life and see all the many sacrifices that my mom has made for me and my sisters. She has ALWAYS been there for me and is always the FIRST person to make sure that I'm ok. Her example has always been a great influence on my life as I have always sought her advice and guidance. She is full of wisdom and always knows the right thing to say and do...My mom has an incredible amount of faith and her testimony and beliefs have gotten me through some difficult times in my life.

I also love that my mom is one of my best friends. She and I can talk about anything and everything and she enjoys life to the fullest. I like to think that I learned that from her. I love that my mom is fun too-she loves to get pedicures, go out to lunch, go to movies, and most importantly watch ridiculous shows with me like The Bachelor and Project Runway! The past year has been incredibly difficult and my mom has been by my side (literally) through all of it. Every treatment, every doctor's visit, every scan. That has meant more to me than she probably realizes. I wish Eric could've been there too, but he was doing the most important thing which was taking care of the kids and "holding down the fort". Having my mom (and dad) there made my treatments so much easier and less lonely. I couldn't have made it through those times without her, that I know. I love you Mom, you are the greatest and I am so glad you are still here. I don't take that for granted!

I also have to mention my other two "moms", Elaine and Donna. Elaine is Eric's mom who passed away 11 years ago, right before we got married. I was blessed to know her for a few short years, but I wish I would've had her around much longer. Especially for our kids. She was also a woman of great faith and had so much love for everyone she came into contact with. Her service and sacrifice to her family was truly astounding. I am amazed at how she raised 10 wonderful children who have so much of her in them. She has made a huge impact on me and I can't wait to see her again someday in heaven. What a joyous occasion that will be!

Last, but not least, is my mother-in-law, Donna who married Eric's dad after Elaine passed away. She has raised 8 amazing children and is an incredible example to me of someone with great faith, obedience, service, and humility. I have grown to love Donna very much and am happy she is part of family. It hasn't always been easy and I know that not everyone in the family appreciates her, but Eric and I love her and are grateful she is our kids' other grandma.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!!

No comments: