Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Our baby is growing up!


I realized today that my first baby is growing up! This past week we've started potty training because he's FINALLY showing signs that he's ready for it (even though I was going to wait until the baby arrived and he had adjusted) It's slow right now, but it's so cute to see how excited he is when he goes on the big potty! The look on his face is priceless, like "Look what I'm doing Mom and Dad!" He gets so proud of himself and of course, he's extra motivated because I give him 1 special treat for going on the toilet. In addition, he's excited to wear "big boy underwear" which I'm going to take him shopping for once #2 arrives. I know it will be such a transition for him with a new, little one around and the attention not on him all the time, so I'm not going to force things too quickly right now.

Besides sleeping in a big boy bed too (which he's been doing for awhile now), we're also starting to drop his nap, which isn't great for me with a baby coming! But we decided since he'll lay in his bed and talk and sing for an hour at bedtime, not going to sleep until 9pm some nights, it just seems time. He's also got all his ABC's down pat now! He knows all the letters, what they sound like, etc. Whenever we're driving he will see signs and point out letters to me. That's pretty good for a kid that isn't 3 yet! Other things that he's doing that tell me he's growing up are: he shares his toys/things with other kids well now, he's kind and gentle with babies (thank heavens!), he dresses himself, he knows his rights from lefts (and shoes too), his attention span is 10x better (he can actually sit and watch cartoons for an hour, but also comprehend the stories/concepts), but most of all, he always talks about being a big brother and what he's going to teach the baby and help Mommy with. He's definitley ready!!! It's amazing how quickly they grow up, how much they learn, and how fast time flies! I'm not sure I'm ready for that!

2 comments:

westcoastgrandma said...

If that's not a future "blackmail" picture, I don't know what is.

Grandpa Mac said...

Seems to take after a grandparent, don't you think