Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Couponing 101


I have officially taken the plunge (or jumped on the bandwagon) and became a coupon-er (if that's even a word). Yeah, it's kind of the big thing right now, but after hearing several people/friends saving HUNDREDS off their monthly grocery/household items bills, I decided it was worth a try. Let me tell you-I was VERY overwhelmed by it all initially (it's not as easy as it looks). AND not that excited about the prospect of going to the grocery store more than once a week, shopping at several stores, etc (I loathe grocery shopping with every fiber of my being), but it still seemed way worth the savings. SO, I ordered the paper (including 4 Sunday papers for the inserts), starting clipping coupons for items we use and need, got a binder with inserts and dividers, and have started regularly checking "coupon blogs" to print off internet printables and to check deals.

After talking to a few friends about this, I have decided in order to maintain some "sanity", I've laid down a few ground rules for myself. First, I will only shop at 3 stores (Albertsons, Walgreens, and Winco). The other rule I've created for myself is to not plan my meals necessarily around what's on sale (at least to start with). I will just stockpile things that we USE that go on sale. Our family is used to eating a lot of produce, meat/poultry, etc and not a lot of canned/boxed/prepared meals or snack/junk food, so I might not save AS MUCH as other "couponers". I'm not going to buy something (for example, cookies or chips) just because it's a good deal UNLESS we actually use that item frequently. I wish I could say this couponing thing was getting easier and making more sense, but maybe in a couple of months! I know I really won't be saving $$$ for several months as I will be stockpiling my food storage and other household items up, but in the long run, I will not only be spending less money at the grocery store, but less time (which is always good!). Let's hope for success!

2 comments:

Mom in Mendon said...

Christina, You have a way of making everything a SUCCESS--including coupon-clipping. Good luck with it!

Kauti Nicholls said...

my sis-in-law is awesome with the coupons too--she's always getting stuff for free...it's crazy. i'm not sure if i'm patient enough, but really should do it too--i swear our grocery bill is more and more every month!!!