Thursday, August 6, 2009

Coupon success...finally!


Awhile ago I did a post about how I was trying to get into the whole coupon thing-it really was overwhelming because I had NO idea what I was doing. But as determined as I am about anything I embark on, I decided I would give it a solid, 100% effort for a couple of months before throwing in the towel.

To report on my findings, I have to first tell you that the first month was, let's just say in one word, "H" with an "ELL" at the end. I had subscribed to the paper so I could start clipping coupons, I got the "coupon lingo" down (well, some of it), I did my research on which coupon blogs to follow (to find the good deals and print off internet printable coupons), and I had even gotten myself just plain organized complete with a fancy binder with dividers for sections (ie. Dairy, Baby/Medicine, Household, etc) and baseball card holders for coupons. I figured, if I'm diving into this, then by golly, I'm jumping in head first!

In addition to my preparation, I also talked to a few friends who had been doing it for quite some time to get the "low down" and advice. I decided that for my sanity (which is pretty important) I would stick to only 2 stores to do my grocery shopping (Albertstons and Winco). Even that seemed daunting to me being as I LOATE grocery shopping (kinda like I loathe laundry and doing dishes...), but I decided, "hey, what the heck? Let's give it a whirl!" I wish I could say that my first month or two doing this I got it, I loved it, and I saved some dough. Actually, it was quite the opposite! I thought I knew what I was doing (when I really didn't), I cried and nearly had mental breakdowns in the grocery store (seriously though, once I made the mistake of bringing my kids with me. I mean, BIG MISTAKE. I thought-"hey, they're riding in one of those car carts, they'll be fine." NOT!!! I was trying to keep them contained and happy, all the while trying to keep the items in my cart in 3 different piles for 3 different transactions, AND sorting through my coupons! Yes, I ALMOST yanked my kids out of the cart, left the cart packed with food in the middle of the aisle, and made a run for the car. I said, ALMOST. Yes, I did end up going through with it, but I definitely learned my lesson on that one!)

Each time I went to the store, I would come home in TEARS because I ended up spending way more money than I hoped to with coupons AND I wasn't buying stuff that we don't normally buy. Yes, I was sticking to the rules and just buying the really good sale stuff with coupons. Eric would console me when I would get home (because I did these trips only late at night) and tell me that "it's ok, we'll figure this out. I can help too." After a month of couponing, I was done. I mean, mentally. I had spent an extra $200 that month and I just couldn't do it anymore. Well, I really just decided to take a break, especially since we were going out of town most of July. AND, Eric and I figured out a few things. First, only get the things we NEED RIGHT NOW that are ON SALE (and I mean, a really GOOD SALE), and things that we have coupons for and can use double coupons for at ALBERTSONS. I'm sorry, but for all you Albie lovers out there, it's just too expensive to do ALL your grocery shopping there (esp if you buy A LOT OF PRODUCE, which we do and hardly any packaged, canned, or processed foods). SO, to make a long story maybe a little shorter, we decided that Albies was only for a short list of things that were on sale, we had coupons for, and even could use double coupons for. Oh, and gas (you save $.05 for every $50 in groceries spent). Winco was still our main man, our bread and butter, for everything else like most produce, milk, and the bulk of our groceries. Plus, we can still use coupons at Winco too.

I'm back on the bandwagon, at least for now to really see if over time, I can start seeing some huge savings off our grocery bill. Tonight I went to Albies (some sweet deals they were having) and here's what I spent and saved (in 3 different transactions. I know, a pain, huh?!). I'm thinking this is pretty good???!!! I should've taken a picture of everything I got before putting it away-it was quite the list including expensive items like diapers, wipes, shampoo/conditioner, laundry detergent, TP, meat, etc. But I'm onto something here, or maybe I'm just starting to figure this thing out...

First transaction:
Spent: $44.75
Saved (with coupons, sales, deals): $39.67

Second transaction:
Spent: $46.52
Saved: $46.84

Third transaction:
Spent: $32.81
Saved: $43.91

TOTAL SPENT: $124.08
TOTAL SAVINGS: $130.42


Yep, folks, that's over 50% savings! I'm officially a believer, well, kind of. :)

1 comment:

Shay said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I felt the exact same way. I could NEVER do it with my kids and it was a full time job. Then we got to the point where we were moving and I didn't want to stockpile, but most good deals you have to. Now I'm a week away from from having a baby and no where near doing couponing again, BUT, I know I will try it again because it can be really worth it!