Friday, January 13, 2012

"My Family" in Austin's words

For Austin's homework one night, he was supposed to write a story about his family. It went like this (which he wrote completely by himself):

"My mom is fun. She has more than 3 friends. My dad snores and is very mechanical. I am a good reader and like to build things. My brother Carson has a gap and likes cars. Tucker is our dog and he likes to chew stuff up. THE END."

I love this!! Oh, the mind of a 6 year old!!

I am completely blown away by this kid's reading and spelling abilities for a first grader. Austin is reading at a third grade level, averaging well over 100 words per minute, and has averaged 95% on all his spelling tests (over 20 tests so far), which are "Challenge" lists. We always knew Austin was a smart cookie, but I am still amazed by how quickly he is learning! Even his teacher and I have had several discussions about his academic performance and ways to challenge him more. Right now we are exploring our options, but there is a possibility we might switch him to a different school next year. We shall see.

WAY TO GO AUSTIN!

No comments: