As Austin approaches 4 in a few months, I have long considered when I should give up his nap. For quite awhile now, he has been fighting me on naps (although he doesn't have them every day), but I'm not sure he's ready to go without yet! Or is it I am not ready for him to not have naps anymore? :) Austin is one of those kids that has never been a long napper, even when he was a baby he took cat-naps and could live off of only 11-12 hrs of sleep at night. He's always been healthy too, never an ear infection, strep throat, croup, nothing other than a little cold here and there. BUT the problem I run into is if he goes without too few naps/week, by 4pm, he's a PILL! Plus, he is rougher with his little brother, he doesn't obey as well, and he's even more wild and crazy! I guess as long as he actually falls asleep when I make him take a nap every other day (and he doesn't go to bed late), I should continue the napping, but this fighting me about it is getting old FAST! :)
Friday, January 23, 2009
To nap or not to nap???
As Austin approaches 4 in a few months, I have long considered when I should give up his nap. For quite awhile now, he has been fighting me on naps (although he doesn't have them every day), but I'm not sure he's ready to go without yet! Or is it I am not ready for him to not have naps anymore? :) Austin is one of those kids that has never been a long napper, even when he was a baby he took cat-naps and could live off of only 11-12 hrs of sleep at night. He's always been healthy too, never an ear infection, strep throat, croup, nothing other than a little cold here and there. BUT the problem I run into is if he goes without too few naps/week, by 4pm, he's a PILL! Plus, he is rougher with his little brother, he doesn't obey as well, and he's even more wild and crazy! I guess as long as he actually falls asleep when I make him take a nap every other day (and he doesn't go to bed late), I should continue the napping, but this fighting me about it is getting old FAST! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Caleb doesn't nap anymore either--maybe once a week. BUT I still insist on "quiet time" where he plays in his room for a couple hours. It helps us both out a lot! ;)
Fina, I was going to say exactly what Kauti said. Just try to do "quiet time" (he has to stay in his room and read books or do something quiet. Also, I know some people will turn on a short movie to help them relax) Then at least you can have a little sanity and maybe it will help him rest enough that it won't be so miserable later in the day. GOOD LUCK!
Ella doesn't nap anymore either, hasn't nap for a long time. I got tired of fighting plus she started to fall a sleep too late at night too. Only randomly in a car or couple times on a sofa now when she started school. We do have this quiet time too. Emil naps around 12-3 so then we colour, play something together, watch some cartoons or she playes quietly in her room. At night our bedtime is 8, which is great!
Remember, who is in charge here. Once you give up the mantel, you will find it difficult to get it back.
These young children are wanting to know the boundaries, and that they are for real. He will learn from you and also from your reactions.
The operate word is LOVE!
Grandpa Mac
Elder McEvoy
Post a Comment