Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day


On this Independence Day, I reflect and remember how blessed we are to live in this beautiful country. I know we take this for granted too often. And although our country is nowhere near perfect, we must admit-we have it pretty darn good.

Not only do we live in a free land, established by men who had a vision and created that opportunity for us, but we live in a country where we have choices-we can live where we want to live, work where we please, go to school where we choose, and most importantly, practice whatever religion we choose. Many countries around the world do not have this precious freedom. And this freedom is probably the most meaningful to me.

I think about how our church was restored, through the prophet Joseph Smith, and I feel so blessed to live during a time, in a country, where we can have the gospel, live it, and share it with others. There are two things that I am most grateful for in my life. Family is one of them. The gospel is the other. I can't imagine what I would do without the knowledge that I have. It brings so much peace and harmony to my life, and especially during tumultuous times, like now. To know that I have a Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ that love me despite my weaknesses and the mistakes that I've made in my life is a true gift. To know that there is a plan and purpose to us being on this Earth, and that we can return to live with our Heavenly Father again...To know that Jesus Christ died for and provided a way for us through the gift of the Atonement...To have temples and a modern day prophet to help guide us...To have the scriptures, both the Bible and the Book of Mormon to help direct our lives...To have the knowedge that we can live with our families in the eternities even when we pass away...All of these things are just a few of the blessings that I feel from having the gospel of Jesus Christ. And I know we wouldn't have them, if it had not been Joseph Smith who helped restore the gospel upon the Earth in THIS country, and for those founding fathers, who had the vision to create this extradorinary country...
We are so blessed, rather or not we realize that, and I am grateful that I can be a citizen of this great country.

No comments: