Eric and I participated in the Relay for Life yesterday, which is a worldwide fundraiser supporting the American Cancer Society. Originally we had wanted to start a team this year and raise money on our own, but with everything going on this year, it just didn't seem like something else we should take on right now. So, we joined a friend from our ward's team (who is also a cancer survivor) instead. Relay for Life is a 24 hr event, in which people/teams walk or run around a track in support of raising money for cancer research and funding. Because cancer doesn't sleep, teams are expected to always have at least one participate on the track at all times. Teams set up tents in which they sell or auction baked goods and other items, all to be donated to the American Cancer Society. Bands or music played ALL night, and there were also fun games and contests going on around the clock. People came dressed in costumes or other silly attire. Everything was donated, including the food. There was a "survivor" dinner in which cancer survivors and their caregivers get a complimentary dinner catered by the Macaroni Grill. At midnight, Texas Roadhouse had a free baked potato bar and Marie Calendars donated pies. Breakfast was donated in the morning.
The event starts off with the "Survivors lap" in which all cancer survivors or fighters get tee shirts and walk the first lap around the track. People line the track to cheer the participants. It was a very special moment for me especially to know that I am and will be a survivor of this disease. It was also a testament of how this disease doesn't discriminate and affects people of all ages and backgrounds-there were babies, kids, teens, young adults, parents, grandparents all walking the track...At 11pm, there was a luminaria ceremony in which decorated paper bags with candles in them line the track to honor loved ones who have passed or those still fighting. We honored Eric's mom, Elaine, who passed away 10 years ago from cancer. And we also celebrated me, in my fight against cancer.
5 comments:
You go girl! You are amazing! I love your big smile...you are beautiful. We are praying for you daily.
Christina, We LOVE your attitude. That alone will make a difference in this fight! You have our faith, our prayers, and our fasts. You will do this!!!!
love the pics. i'm glad you got to participate in this and meet lots of survivors. love you.
I YUV YUV that picture of you in the survivor shirt. Maybe it just makes me tear up a little. You are so inspiring!
I love this. I wish I could have been there with you. You are amazing. I have another shirt for you. I will get it to you asap. You are going to love it. Xoxo.
Ash
Post a Comment