Thursday, July 22, 2010

Treatment decision

After a painful month long process of making a decision on treatment, we have finally decided on the next step. I am choosing to do biochemotherapy in SF. This is a treatment that consists of 5 drugs- 2 immunotherapeutic agents and 3 chemotherapeutic agents. It has to be administered in the hospital and is inpatient, where I will be staying for 5 days. It is highly toxic and can have adverse side effects like dangerously low blood pressure and liver failure (however, those things are rare), hence the reason I'm admitted and watched very closely. The rate of overall success for biochemo in Stage 4 melanoma is approx 15% (those that have complete responses), but according to several of the doctors that we spoke with, that number could be higher for me due to my younger age, health and fitness level, and most importantly, that I have lung-only metastasis, and faster growing tumors (both of which respond better to biochemo). Of course, we know the odds aren't in my favor that this will be the end-all, be-all of treatments, but we feel it is the right thing as a first step and a good shot at long-term remission (many of the newer treatments/clinical trials are showing a higher response rate, but not durable remission).

This was a very difficult decision to make, and one that we didn't take lightly. We spoke to and visited with many different experts from around the country, and each had their own opinion (which fortunately, they were pretty much in line with each other). At the end of the day, this ended up being the thing that made the most sense and felt the most comfortable. I'm scared and nervous for alot of things, mostly the unknown (as to how I will react, tolerate, or do on this treatment), but I believe that I will be comforted and strengthened in the times which I will need it.

I leave next Tuesday night. I have a brain MRI and PET scan scheduled for Wed, both of which I'm very nervous for (especially since my immune system has been hijacked this month w/ all the stress!), and praying that no "new" lesions show up. Friday I meet w/ Dr. Minor, then Monday Aug 2nd I'm admitted into the hospital. I will be home Aug 9th for 2 weeks recovering, and then back in the hospital for another 5 days. I will do at least 2 cycles, then be reevaluated before I continue. If I am responding after 2, then they will keep going until I show a complete response, up to 6 cycles (18 weeks). If I don't respond and the tumors progress, then I will try a different treatment. It's going to be a long road, but I know that we have much help to get us through it...

To all of our loved ones, we can't thank you enough for your love, support, prayers, and fasting on our behalf. It is truly an amazing, unbelieveable feeling to feel all of YOUR love. We couldn't do this without you. You have all touched our lives!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Saying lots of prayers for you!