Thursday, January 31, 2008

Beating the winter blues...




Whe we moved to Boise a couple of months ago, everyone talked about how little it snows here (at least in the last decade), so I'm expecting this mild winter with hardly any snow and above freezing temperatures! Boy was I wrong! Supposedly, this winter has been the "snowiest" and "coldest" for over a decade! Usually I love the snow, I mean, I lived in Logan, UT for 4 years and SLC, UT for 4 years and I loved it because it makes everything beautiful and I love to snow ski! On top of that, UT does a pretty good job of snow removal (even at the cost of rust in your car), so driving in it isn't usually all that bad. But Boise on the other hand, its the pits to drive anywhere! I think I've seen less than 8 snow plow trucks on the road the entire winter and they use sand here instead of salt (which I think is less effective for not sliding all over icy roads). So, driving here is dreadful when it snows and we've had a lot of snowstorms this winter so far! On top of that, I can't exactly ski being 8 months pregnant, so I've really just gotten to the point that I'm DONE WITH WINTER! I want spring, warmer weather, green grass, flowers...you get the point!

So, the other day despite the FREEZING temperatures outside (and a snow storm pending), Austin and I decided to take a walk to the park to play. Ok, so I first thought it was dumb idea because NOBODY was out with their kids, but I was going nuts being indoors (along with Austin) and needed fresh air, so we got bundled up and walked to the park across the street from our neighborhood. Obviously, Austin didn't seem to mind the cold and despite there being NO kids at the park, he ran around and climbed and played on everything for over an hour. Good thing I just happened to have my camera on me because he was having a blast and not at all put off by the cold. Needless to say, I had fun too snapping photos of my cute kid and playing pretend with him. It was definitely a much needed "outing" and it lifted up my spirits on that cold, wintery day!


7 comments:

Katie said...

Just be glad you could get to the playground! Ours are all covered with a foot of snow.

I'm with ya on the sick of winter thing.

Austin is darling - isn't it funny how they're oblivious to the cold???

heather and fam said...

Fina- I pulled up your blog this morning and Maecee said "AAAADI" The D part of it wasn't as prounounced but she recognized him. It was so funny! I just showed her the picture again and she said it again! I think it's because she always sees his picture that is on our fridge!

Hope you are feeling okay! Keep in touch!
LOVE Heather and Fam

Nikipoo said...

It's amazing what you can find on google. Hey Christina, it's Nichole Sutherland from way back when in Kentucky--I mean Cincinnati [I don't really own up to that "other side of the river state," I think you'll agree ;) ] Anyway, I'm glad to see you all doing so well in ID and congrats on the upcoming arrival...2 boys...what's a mom to do.

So I know you'll think I'm OC/DC (admittedly, yes) to have gone as far as Googling you and the like, but I have to have that strawberry spinach salad recipe you made for my baby shower. I'm having a Valentine party for some of Justin's old friends and would love to serve that, but I don't trust the recipes out there, I want yours! So, if you please, I'd be exstatic.

Best wishes with you and your multiplying yours.

Anonymous said...

Okay, Idaho is the WORST at keeping the roads clean!! You would think that a state that receives a ton of snow each year would figure out this snow removal thng, but seriously you just have to go out in your 4 wheel drive and hope that you survive the roads! I'm so sorry that you are feeling cooped up. We are skiing a lot to try to counterbalance all of the days we spend pent up in our house, I don't know what I would do if I were 8 months along!! Hang in there, it can't last forever....although it is Idaho......

Christina said...

Nichole,
Ok, so hopefully you find a way to get this message but checking back on my blog, because when I clicked on your link it didn't really bring anything up that I could leave you a message.
Good to hear from you and yes, I can give you my salad recipe. Mix together:
1 bag of baby spinach/greens and 1 bag of romaine lettuces
Strawberries sliced
Red Onion sliced
English cucumber sliced
Sugared Slivered almonds (you will want to cook these on a frying pan at med heat with PAM and lots of sugar-keep stirring around until sugar sticks to almonds and they turn golden brown-then cool on wax paper before adding to salad)

Dressing:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup oil
3/4 tsp poppyseed
1/2 tsp onion salt

Oh, before adding dressing, you will want to add a little lemon juice to salad and toss too. Good luck!

Shay said...

I tagged you! Go to my blog to check it out. Happy Valentine's Day! Hope you are feeling good!

Abigail said...

Holy cow there is not a cuter boy out there.