As many of you know, Austin is quite the destructive, often rough and mischevious little boy. Not necessarily in a malicious way (not yet, that is), but nonetheless destructive (hence the nickname, "The Tornado"). The kid doesn't know his own strength, he breaks everything! And I'm not just talking about toys, those I could care less about since most are inexpensive. I'm speaking of expensive things, electronic things, things that you don't want your 2 yr old child to be playing with. Unfortunately, Austin is extremely smart and highly mechanical for his age (a bit worrysome to us) and can figure out how to take apart, put together, or break even the most complicated of gadgets. Before I explain the above picture, however, let me tell you a little background on OTHER things this kid has broken. Let's see...more than a year ago, he ruined our DVD player by pressing the open button repeatedly and shoving the CD holder back in while also sticking keys and coins in there. Around the same time, he destroyed 2 of Eric's flash drives, which was partly Eric's fault for leaving them plugged into the computer (the BACK of the computer)! How can a curious toddler resist not pulling something out that is plugged in??? You can imagine how mad Eric was about that too being as all of his school stuff was on them.
So, yesterday I was heating some dinner up in the microwave for Austin and I ran to go to the bathroom quickly while it was cooking. When I came out, I smelt something burning and at first thought it was his dinner. But no, come to find out Austin had moved a chair over to the microwave, taken his plate out, and put my phone (a Blackberry!) and I-Pod in the microwave and cooked them! He stood there like, "Hmmmm, I wonder what this will do" and I swear I had fumes coming from my nose. I really had to contain myself because I shouldn't have left those next to the microwave first of all, and second of all, we hadn't really told Austin that only food goes in the microwave. But I didn't know that he knew how to clear the time, press in some numbers, and press start! (Never underestimate a toddler!) As you can imagine, dinner was not too fun for neither him nor I because I was crying and scolding him while he sat in his chair quivering his lip because he knew he did something wrong. I know someday I will look back at this and laugh, but for now, I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to replace my phone and I-Pod!!!!
8 comments:
There was a song written years ago about Austin, it is entitled, "THIS COULD BE THE START OF SOMETHING BIG."
Grandma Mary once told me that I 'deserved' Jim. I expect she said that because he was so nice and polite, just like his Dad.
Finally, patience is a virtue.
Sorry for your losses, but when Grandpa told me about the Microwave Caper I laughed and laughed.
Some day when you're telling this story to your grandchildren they'll ask you to explain "microwave," "Blackberry," and "I-Pod." In the meantime, you have one Smart Kid!
Love from Grandma.
So not funny, but kinda. . . just because you know I can TOTALLY relate. Miles and Austin are kinda the same with that mischievious (aka NAUGHTY) gene!!
SOOOO sorry about your expensive gadgets!
What a clever boy! It will be a funny story to tell later...
Upon hearing this sad tale, everyone in THIS household just shook their heads and said it was "only a matter of time" before The Tornado tested his intellect on something expensive. I wonder what made him put both gadgets in the microwave at the same time? Was he "cooking" up a recipe he'd been craving for lunch?
Amazing! It's so amazing how smart these little boys are. I'm starting to find interesting things in the garbage that shouldn't be there by my 11 month old. They watch us like hawks and try to do everything like us...just not exactly. Good Luck with replacing your Ipod and Blackberry!
That is sooo funny. I think boys are just blessed (or cursed) with this curiousity gene and it makes them do random, destructive things. If I added up all the money Tag has cost me in replacing or fixing things, I would die. WE have paid for Roto Rooter 3 different times and he wrote on my leather sofa with a ball point pen! yes, he is miraculously still alive! I guess boys will be boys!!
Hey guys, just wait till you have two!!! It is so much fun too though. We are excited for you. Congrats, not about the destroyed gadgets, but the baby. I'll stop now. Ollie
Post a Comment