Monday, January 21, 2008

I turn 30!!!!


Well, I reached a significant milestone yesterday, I turned 30! To be honest, I had mixed emotions about this birthday for awhile, only because 30 always seemed so"old" to me, but I do feel that this upcoming decade will be even greater than the last (let's hope!)! As I reflect back to my 20's, a lot happened in those 10 years.... I went to college, graduated, got married, started a career, put my husband through undergrad and graduate school, had a kid, moved SEVERAL TIMES (Logan, UT; Pleasanton, CA (twice); SLC, UT (twice); Cincinnati, OH; and now Boise, ID!), switched careers (for a brief while) and even had my own business, had many church callings, done several races (triathlon and cycling), celebrated many marriages and new births of family members and good friends (and unfortunately some deaths too), traveled all over the world (Europe, Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, Australia to name a few), made so many new and great friends in different places, the list goes on. When I see that list, I think "wow, I really experienced a lot of great things in my 20s", but I also think of the humbling and challenging trials that I've gone through that made my 20s often times stressful and exhausting! Even through the rough patches though, I know that my life has always been blessed and I can only credit the Lord for that. I guess I would like to think that I learned A LOT in those 10 years, grew up and became a real adult! I know now that our life experiences (whether good or bad) only make us stronger, more prepared and wiser for the future, help us overcome our weaknesses, and make us better people.

Looking onto the 30s I look forward to completing a family, seeing where Eric's career takes us, and most importantly, having the priviledge of watching our children grow! I'm sure that we will continue to have struggles and trials along the way (no doubt!), but I also think that being older now gives me more experience, perspective, and most importantly the capability of balancing my life better and not getting so overwhelmed by stress (I still need to work on this one though!). I know this decade will be just as great, if not better than the last, and I fully intend on embracing my age!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I loved reading this post. I'm with you, our next 10 years are going to be much better than our last 10. I think that as you get older you get a lot more comfortable in your own skin, and you don't sweat the small stuff as much. I think that we will look back at our 30s with so many happy memories of raising our kids. Happy Birthday.....

Mom in Mendon said...

Happy birthday, and happy new decade. You're sure to make another great one. Love, Donna

Shay said...

Happy Birthday! I love your feelings on turning 30. Age is wisdom! I think it's all about how you feel inside. If you feel young, you'll be young!

Abigail said...

what a great post! Loved it! Happy Birthday friend. Love you

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm exhausted just reading your list of accomplishments. I'm so proud of you for weathering the storms as well as appreciating the sunrises along the way. You have accomplished so much and have developed such great character along the way. I love the optimistic way you tackle all of the ups and downs of life!

Kristin said...

How fun to find your blog and see your parents too!

Happy 30th birthday.

Your family looks great. Hope things are going really well for you.

Kristin