
Yesterday millions of Americans voted in unprecendented numbers and made a decision on who would be our next President. And Barack Obama was announced the winner and the first African American President of The United States of America. To put it simply, John McCain said last night, "This is a special election. I recognise the great significance it must have for African Americans and the special pride they must be feeling tonight." In his concession speech he paid tribute to Barack Obama for inspiring millions and declared the country had "come a long way from the cruel bigotry" of the past. How truly amazing that is! McCain also stated, "Let there be no reason now for any American not to cherish their citizenship of this, the greatest nation on earth." I especially appreciated that John McCain was so genuine, humble, and gracious in his remarks and kept saying that our nation needed to "come together" now.
In Barack Obama's speech last night at Grant Park, I was especially impressed with some of his opening remarks as to this historic event. He said, "If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer."
The immense turnout in yesterday's election was testament to the energy, excitement and expectations of a rejuvenated American democracy, as well as the fears of a nation standing at a crossroads of history. The new president faces economic and social convulsions at home, and conflict abroad and it will be interesting to see what happens as the next few months and years unfold. Even if there are those that don't support our new President, we should still do our best to support and pray for him to lead our country in a way that provides the positive changes that we need to get back on track.
5 comments:
He definitely wasn't my pick, but I am hopeful it will be a positive thing. He seems like a genuine, nice person. Hopefully he will select good people to be on his staff and in the cabinet.
Well said! What a historic event in our countries history.
You are so patriotic! I have to say that it did feel so good just to cast my vote yesterday. Even though, it did go my way....I am so thankful for the right and privelage. I would feel very unamerican had I not atleast done my part to have an opinion with a vote!
Okay. You are so cute for Halloween. I love that you love The Office. It is one of our favorite shows!
We do need to get together. Even if it is meeting at McDonalds for lunch with the kids. It is getting to be winter and is wicked cold!
Amen! I'm just so relieved that elections are finally over! I loved your costumes! Joseph and I dressed up almost identical to that last year for my family's Halloween party. Complete with the dead cat even!!! Great minds...
I really like your post. Thanks for saying things in a good way. I have to admit I was very disappointed that Obama won, but I need to get over it. I like what you said about now we need to pray for him to do the best job.
Post a Comment