
To begin with, I've been back and forth with this election. When the two primary candidates, Barack Obama and John McCain were decided, I honestly wasn't excited about either one. As I watched the Primaries, debates, commercial ads/endorsments, it made me even more confused on who I thought would be best suited for the next President of our country. And all the campaign negativity only made it worse (a little mud-slinging is ok, but c'mon!) It was only until a few days before Election Day, that I decided I would vote (even if I was slightly still undecided). And why? Because it is our civic duty and right, our moral obligation, to vote in this great country we live in. Some might argue that it isn't a "duty", and more a "right", but either way, I think we will feel better about ourselves in the end if we have a voice and exercise that freedom to vote. Think of all the countries in the world where the citizens don't have a voice, don't live in a democracy, and have little to no say on how their country is run. Can you imagine living in such a place? We, as fellow Americans, are so blessed to live in this country! Even if we have plenty of our own problems and crisis' right now, the fact is, we live in such a prosperous nation, a nation of opportunity, of choice, of freedom, and liberty. And we need to take pride in this fact and do the right thing, do what we often take for granted and VOTE!
3 comments:
I always vote! I feel it is duty and most importantly my right. This election was really interesting and I'm glad it was Obama! It really shows that world is changing. Go America!
You are right! We waited until the Saturday before the election until we finally received our absentee ballots. Since there was no way we would be able to get them in on time, We waited at the office here in Yekat until the Cache County Clerk office opened in Logan. Then we called and worked out an option for us to vote from here. After a 2 hour wait, our ballots came through the internet and we finally voted using the technology of today. We do live in an ordained land, and we should not only be proud, but also caring about how it is directed. I hope that the confidance of America is held and used by our new government leaders.
Grateful to be an American!!
Grandpa Mac
I think most importantly, voting shows your patriotism. It was on a list of the top ways to show your patriotism and voting was #3. I couldn't agree more with you about having a right too. Thank goodness we do live in a free country. I am a very proud American!
Post a Comment